As part of promotional efforts for this weekend’s Miss USA extravaganza, pageant officials uploaded a supposedly cute video of the beauty queen contestants lip-syncing to Pharrell Williams’ hit “Happy.” Can’t go wrong with that, right?
Well, turns out you can, IF YOUR PAGEANT CONTESTANTS AREN’T ACTUALLY HAPPY TO BE FILMING. Below, 21 moments when they (and other folks featured in the video) were caught looking less than pleased with the proceedings, despite the soundtrack:
1. When current Miss USA Erin Brady bursts out of an elevator at the start of the video.
She’s going to have to give up her crown this weekend; why would she be happy?! Also, her sweatpants are particularly sad.
2. When the camera pans past this contestant in the hotel’s hallway.
She does not like her feather boa, however patriotic its color scheme is.
3. And when this contestant gets Silly String sprayed in her face.
4. When Miss Idaho cannot deal with this dance segment, not one bit.
Maybe she can’t handle Miss Texas’s pantsuit either.
5. When these ladies were not pleased about being relegated to the back of the streetcar dance party.
Miss Vermont and Miss Oregon are totally going to fight later.
6. Eek! Donald Trump! Don’t pretend you were ready for this.
Donald Trump is so very unhappy, he’s tearing up. IDK why; maybe he’s realized he’s terrible?
7. Gosh, when this poor girl had to dance in a hailstorm.
“Dancing in the Street” is a great Motown number, but not a sensible life choice; don’t get me started on dancing in the highway. Particularly in bad weather.
8. When these three fangirls were not actually fans of their skit.
9. Then when this manic moment happened, out of nowhere.
Pageant queens on pogo sticks! Work it into the live broadcast, please.
10. When this poor lobster showed up.
If it’s not dead already, it’s definitely traumatized. (There are a lot of sad, mistreated sea creatures in this video, by the way. Consider that a warning if you’re sensitive.)
11. Then when these pageant girls danced with some shrimp.
12. And then just waved them around some more for good (bad) measure.
🙁 🙁 🙁
13. When this dance sequence happened and everyone hated it as much as Miss Idaho.
Her disdain is contagious.
14. When everyone hates lacy umbrellas.
OK, maybe not Miss West Virginia, but everyone else.
15. When this harmonica player did not appreciate Miss Rhode Island getting up in his personal space.
He did not come to the jazz club to be ground up upon, OK? He came to make music.
16. When Miss Missouri was not ready to dance like a drunk girl.
17. When Miss New Jersey was not ready either.
She clearly thinks Miss Minnesota is trying too hard.
18. And when this old man was neither ready nor bothered.
19. When this NYC cyclist had to veer around some crazy guy skipping in the street.
Cyclists in New York are unhappy to begin with; don’t give them an extra reason to cuss you out.
20. When the soldier on the right of Miss Tennessee didn’t quite know what to do with himself.
Maybe this is more awkward than unhappy, but the two states of mind are pretty interchangeable once you start thinking about it.
21. And OMG, when Miss Rhode Island basically gave the cameraman (and the world watching) the finger.
Sure, she’s giving snaps but her true intentions ~*sHInE ThrOUgH. I love her for them.